The purposes of the Sons of the American Revolution are patriotic, historical, and educational. This includes:
* Perpetuating the memory of Revolutionary War Patriots.* Promoting fellowship among their descendants* Inspiring the community with a reverence for the principles of government founded by our forefathers.
* Encouraging historical research of the American Revolution* Preserving the records of Revolutionary War Patriots.
* Marking the locations of the Revolution: its events and its soldiers *Celebrating anniversaries of the Revolution * Fostering true patriotism.
* Maintaining and extending the institutions of American freedom* Carrying out the purposes of the Preamble of the Constitution.
* Following the injunctions of Washington's farewell address to the American people.
What does the Richmond Chapter Do?
* Honors individuals for outstanding and unusual patriotic achievement on a national, regional, and local level.
* Honors persons for outstanding bravery and self sacrifice in the face of imminent danger.
* Honors members of the United States Congress for outstanding service to the nation.
* Honors outstanding high school students annually with the presentation of a Good Citizenship Award.
* Honors outstanding Junior and Senior ROTC cadets annually with the presentation of the ROTC Award.
* Honors Law Enforcement officials for outstanding service with a Law Enforcement Award.
* Honors Fire Safety Officials for outstanding service with a Fire Safety Commendation Award.
* Selects outstanding Eagle Scouts annually at the chapter, state and national level. The national winner receives a college scholarship.
* Assists veterans in Veterans Hospitals. Financially supports the Families of the Wounded Fund, Inc.
* Conducts a national historical orations contest annually.
* Sponsors Boy Scout troops and chapters of the Children of the American Revolution.
* Places SAR markers at the grave sites of Revolutionary War Patriots and SAR Members.
* Commemorates Revolutionary War Patriots with appropriate ceremonies.
* Participates in new citizenship swearing-in ceremonies.
* Observes patriotic anniversaries.
* Cooperates with the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution, Children of the American Revolution, Sons of the Revolution and other hereditary organizations in the promotion of patriotism.